Always known as ‘Brock’, Walter was one of Finedon’s most well known and likeable characters. At one time he was a stoker at the Gasworks, but he and dealer in used cars and parts. During the war, he was one of the few licenced breakers. It was unusual if he could not produce a needed spare part. In later years his business was situated adjacent to the “Tainty” in Avenue Road. “Brock” also ran a taxi business and was closely associated with the Showmen’s Guild. Sadly, he died suddenly on 6 March 1953 aged 51.
George Buckley Henderson
George arrived in Finedon in 1958 after serving as a career soldier in many parts of the world. In civilian life he was employed by H. B. Pearce as a cost many charities; including the Finedon Branch of the Royal British Legion and Guide Dogs for the Blind. He was also involved with the Star Boys Club, the Mulso Junior School and the Town Bowls Club.
George successfully stood for Wellingborough Urban Council in 1970, a position he held until his until his untimely death in 1986.
George served as the Mayor of the Borough in 1983/84 and was Deputy Mayor in 1984/85. His role is commemorated on a plaque in the grounds of the Castle Theatre along with other councillors who died in office.